Saturday, October 25, 2014

Vacation - New Mexico!

I recently read that "perfection is the enemy of done". That is my motivation to get this blog up to date. Not that I am really striving for perfection. Maybe in my case it is that distraction is the enemy of done. Either way this needs to get done!

We left Fort Davis en route for Red River to visit one of my very best friends Becca Pockrandt and her husband Ronnie. We planned an overnight camping trip in New Mexico near Alamogordo. 

Here are Sam and Elle at the Three Rivers Trailhead were we camped. Aren't I lucky to call these two my family?


We put Elle to bed at 7:30 and waited for the storm to hit. The perfect ending to the day. Elle did very well camping for her first time. 

Dinner ;)
This was the condition of the road leading OUT of the campsite. We were unsure our little Elantra could make and I was beginning to panic. Even though Elle did great camping I was ready to get back to civilization after one night! Luckily the car did great. Sam floored it with Elle in the back and me behind the care ready to push. Elle let out a hoop and holler as Sam took off. They are quite the duo. 

Just beyond the road crossing is one of New Mexicos riches collections of petroglyphs. Just as we began our hike through ancient drawings we saw this Lizzard warming. 
We were really amazed and grateful to see these works of art. Since there is so little accent artifacts in U.S. and the West that I become completely enchanted by very old things. 



This foot is so narrow, I think it could be a foreshowing of Ell's adult shoe size!




Somehow we magically arrived in Red River. Every morning we took Elle for a walk to see the ducks. As you can see she thought she was a very special guest. 

The only thing I asked Becca was that she bake cookies for us - she is an excellent cook and baker. Elle loved "helping" her. 

Everywhere Sam and I went people would dote over Elle UNLESS we had Becca and Ronnie's dog with us. Then everyone would beeline to him and begin to dote. Elle could care less but Sam and were dismayed!

Here is an action shot of one of our many hiking adventures. 

The all too important snack break. Where would we be without those pouches!

We were trying to get a nice portrait of Elle with her wildflower...



After many  great meals, games, hikes, and general fun times we hit the road again to meet Ah, Papa,  Aunt Katie, Uncle Clint, Charlie, Evie and Ford in Telluride!

No comments:

Post a Comment